Old electrical wiring can be a safety hazard and will need to be brought up to code. Homes in the 1920s didn’t have hair dryers, and even something as small as that can draw more power than old household electrical systems can handle. Old wiring is also just an inconvenience: If you’ve ever lost power when running the microwave and the coffeemaker at the same time, you know what I mean. You might need to change ungrounded 2-prong outlets to 3-prong outlets, and rewire the house to get rid of old knob-and-tube wiring that can start a fire. Depending on your needs and the appliances you own, you may even need to upgrade modern wiring to support new appliances, computers, entertainment systems, and other projects.
The older a home is and the more times it’s been sold or changed hands, the more likely any changes to the home won’t have been in keeping with the original design of the house. It’s best to err on the side of caution call AJP Electric at 1-860-875-7755 for a free consultation. We can tell you what to expect and give you a plan that is affordable and safe for you and your family.